Give Thanks to Yourself
Hi Fit Diva!
How is your November going so far? Flying by? Of course it is! From here til the end of the year we KNOW how much crazier the days are going to get…no different then last year, so keep yourself prepared & always remember….20 minutes of moving your body a day makes a big difference! Anything!!! Sweating clears your head and makes you ready to take on the world!!!!
So onto our fun topic today! The Won Ton. Just in time for the entertaining season.
The Won Ton
Your thinking…won ton??!?!?!
Nope, it doesn’t have to be used for a traditional Chinese dish, in fact the few ideas below are far from it. Last year I made mini pumpkin pies and the won ton was the crust. Cute single servings so you can have 1 and maybe another small treat or 2 and still feel satisfied with only 40-50 calories a pie! AND..talk about portion control!
- mini pumpkin pies
This year I made bella diva approved mini apple pies! Even better!! Served them at my last diva-licious cooking class.
- before baking
Lastly a few diva-licious appetizers to please everyone and allows you to keep that fit, sexy body you’re working so hard on. Remember, through the holidays, it’s not about trying to keep moving forward on your fit and health goal, but to MAINTAIN! Life must be enjoyed! Happiness is first on the live healthy list. Before we dive into the pie and appetizer recipes here are a few fun facts.
Won Ton Facts
Won Tons are made by spreading a square wrapper (a dough skin made of flour, egg, water, and salt) flat in the palm of one’s hand, placing a small amount of filling in the center, and sealing the won ton into the desired shape by compressing the wrapper’s edges together with the fingers.
Main ingredients: Dough: flour, eggs, water, salt;
4.5 carbs 16 calories
You can find these universal little guys normally in the produce section in most grocery stores. I know here in Florida, they are with the vegan cheeses and tofu. If not, just ask! They are definitely kept in a cool area. They must be stored and kept in your fridge even before opening!
Here are 2 of my favorite appetizers using won tons as the base. Again, I can’t express how quick and easy and endless the ideas are.
Kale, Spinach & greek hot dip cups
The quickest little app you can whip together that tastes like you spent hours.
- won tons
- Trader Joe Kale spinach dip (or you can make your own if you choose)
- *mini muffin tin*
- Preheat oven 375′
- Place and mold 1 won ton in each mini muffin tin. Do not spray tins. I have done this and it cause the bottoms to become soggy.
- Place a scoop of dip in each wonton until full.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until won tons become golden brown.
That SIMPLE! If you want to add a special topping before baking, you can also buy real crab meat and place a small amount on each won ton too! Mini crab dip cups!!!
Diva Approved Apple Pies
Apple a day keeps the doctor away! And these lil pies will keep the fat away!
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar + 1 packet stevia
- 1 tsp cinnamon or TJ spice mix (I used extra)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp flour (oat)
- 4 medium apples chopped & cubed
- 24 won ton wrappers (mini)
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- Prepare a mini muffin tray by spraying each muffin cup with cooking spray then lay a wonton wrapper in each muffin cup.
- In a sauce pan add the water, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and flour and whisk over medium heat until mixture thickens as the flour cooks.
- Add the apples to the saucepan and continue cooking for another 10-15 minutes until the apples are soft.
- Drop a tablespoonful of the apple mixture in each wonton.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until the edges of the wonton wrappers begin to brown and crisp. Take them out immediately and place on paper towel to prevent bottom from getting soggy.
- Top with cool whip! Choose your favorite apples.
- Maybe make 1/2 with green 1/2 honey crisp.
- So cute and Diva-lish
As you can see this fun, unthought of calorie savor, the wonton, is very helpful when trying to stay on track with your fit diva diet, but still allows you to enjoy flavorful foods you love. Especially around the holidays!
Food should NOT be an all or nothing way of life. Pick and choose and have that fit diva mind-set. For more fun ideas, look up healthy appetizers using won tons! Another one of my faves are mini taco cups! Get creative and make your own! (dont forget to use low fat greek yogurt as sour cream;)
Happy Happy Thanksgiving & don’t forget to be truly THANKful for ALL you have! Including yourself!
Ciao Bella Diva