Hello Fit Bella Diva
It’s memorial weekend and the kick off to summer! Which means grilling and burger time!
Ah, the juicy burgers of summer cookouts! They taste so good — but are so often huge fat and calorie bombs. The sad truth is that most homemade burgers have well over 800 calories. But it is possible to pack all that savory meaty flavor, oozing melting cheese, and yes, even bacon into a big, satisfying burger without blowing your dietary allotment for the entire day.
A typical homemade 6-ounce burger alone can easily pack 450 calories — and the bun, cheese and bacon will add another 400. And that’s without any sauce or mayo.
My biggest pet peeve when it comes to eating healthy as a forever lifestyle, is constantly hearing….”Blah, I don’t want to have to eat plain chicken or turkey…” Well, you do not have to say that again! It’s a forever lifestyle! Not a diet, not a quick fix, it’s about feeling and looking fabulous inside and out for a lifetime.
Here are a few Fit Bella Burgers just in time for Memorial weekend fun.
Thai Turkey Burgers
- 1 1/4 cups bagged cole slaw mix
- 2 tbsp. Thai peanut salad dressing or sauce with 65 calories or less per 2-tbsp. serving (Whole foods have a good one)
- 1 tbsp. chopped peanuts
- 1 lb. raw lean ground turkey (7% fat or less)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions
- 2 tbsp. egg whites (about 1 large egg’s worth)
- 2 tbsp. Thai peanut salad dressing or sauce with 65 calories or less per 1-2 tbsp.
- chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 3/4 tsp. ground ginger or ½ tsp powder ginger
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl combine all slaw ingredients. Mix well & refrigerate.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix all burger ingredients. Evenly form into 4 patties about 1/2 inch thick.
- Bring a grill sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Grill patties for 5 minutes with the grill cover down then flip until cooked through.
- Top each patty with 1/4th of the slaw (about 1/4 cup).
MAKES 4 SERVINGS
Serve patties over slaw as well and have a side of rice crackers, greens and some hot sauce! Asian burger combo
Bella Bacon Buffalo Burgers
No, these aren’t made with buffalo meat — they just taste a lot like buffalo wings. AWESOME!!!
- 1 lb. raw extra-lean ground beef (4% fat or less)
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 2 tbsp Franks Red Hot Sauce
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp. each salt and black pepper
- 4 pieces of turkey bacon or extra lean bacon
Romaine lettuce or butter lettuce as your burger bun if you choose to go lower carb
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix all ingredients except bacon and toppings. Evenly form into 4 patties.
- Separately bake or pan sear bacon while burgers are being grilled.
- Either grill or bring a grill pan (or large skillet) sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Working in batches as needed, cook patties for 4 – 8 minutes per side, until cooked to your preference.
- Top each burger with a piece of bacon, tomato, extra hot sauce if you choose!
Remember, food is a numbers game! If you want a burger bun, then NO fries! If it were me, enjoy your yummy burger full of flavor over a bed of greens or wrap with lettuce as your bun and still top with: pickle, mustard, ketchup & have a few fries and side salad!
Hopefully these 2 burger ideas sparked some new creative thoughts. Have fun with lean meats and create your own style!
- Greek Burger: Feta, red peppers, artichokes and olives
- Jalapeno popper: Stuff your burger with light cream cheese or goat cheese, sliced jalapeno and top with bacon
- Italian: italian spices, fresh garlic, top with a mini caprese salad (fresh mozzarella, tomato, fresh basil and balsamic
Enjoy Bella Divas and have a fabulous memorial weekend!